Monday, December 6, 2010

Hem tape is my new BFF - xmas table runners!

Sewing and me have never met (ok, there was that brief dabble into cross stitch when I was a kid, but lets not count that!). I have asperations to buy this sewing machine to start on, but holding off for now. One thing at a time! However, it turns out there is a glorious product called iron on hem tape! It is sewing without sewing. I found this post about a no sew table runner and thought I could do that with xmas fabric! So off to Hobby Lobby I went with my shopping list of fabric, hemming tape, and ribbon.



Now, truth be told I had another issue - ahem - apparently with hemming tape you need to own an IRON! Are you getting the hint that I really do not know anything about the home? I had received a free iron table when I picked up another craigslist product several months ago (doesnt hurt to ask if people are selling anything else, and this time the owner threw it in for free!) Anyway, I figured it was about time I owned one, so amazon fixed this issue quickly for me.

Armed with my new iron I got to work. The wonderful thing with my house is how the kitchen and living room are situated. I have a big island that goes right into the family room - with a big TV. This took a couple of hours to do, but no issue when I get to watch all of my DVRed shows!






First I measured my spaces - I made 8 placemats and 4 table runners of various sizes. For the placemats, I just used one I had on the table before to cut to size. For the runner, I placed the fabric down on the carper to attempt a straight line. Still working on the straight line part but it mostly fixes when you can use the hemming tape to adjust afterward.



Total cost for this project was about $25 for the fabric (but I had 8 placemats and 4 runners made, so yours would be much less with 1 or 2) and then $2 for each roll of hemming tape for a total of $31 for all! I really love adding color and decorating for the holidays, but prefer items that can serve purposes outside the holidays or be flattened for stowing away.

Here is a sample of the result! I am stll finishing my furniture pieces so the other pics will come later.











Submitted to:



HollyBloggyButton1

2 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful! Great job! I, too, do not know one end of a sewing machine from the other....glad to know I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, they look awesome.
    Thanks for sharing at Holly bloggy.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading comments so thank you for your postive and helpful tips!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...