Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pizza Pizza!

I am learning how to cook, so periodically I will share what new things I have tried. There will likely not be any mind blowing recipes or something you see on top chef. This is just the story of someone starting from scratch and giving it a try! Why? It saves money eating in, B likes it, you eat better when you control what you put in, and this is my kitchen. I feel guilty not using it.


So – what could be more basic than good old pizza? This has been on our rotating list of meals we eat (you know, those 5 you always fall back to). I rarely eat pizza outside of home – I do not eat dairy which limits eating most pizza. In the US, pizza without cheese is weird. The waiter looks at you funny like you came from another planet and it ends up being soggy bread with tomato sauce from a can. Ew….Unless you are in Italy….and it is totally normal to order a Pizza Marinara with fresh local tomatoes and crisp thin crust….…..



Ah…….. Venice….But I digress….

Normally, Whole Foods provides the premade crust but this time I tried to make the crust myself! (I know, shocking relevation I said it would be simple). How hard can it be? First thing I check was to see if I had yeast. I had bought it twice and never used – it was all expired. Oops – had the best intentions. I also realized that I have never used yeast before to my memory. Now, if I am cooking something I am trying some way to make it healthy so here is the receipe I used. I get the clean eating magazine which is where this comes from.


CE Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough

Start your pizza off right with the perfect clean dough!
Makes: 2 1-lb dough balls Hands-on time: 30 minutes Total time: 2 hours

INGREDIENTS:
• 1 tbsp raw honey
• 1 cup less 1 1/2 tbsp lukewarm water (105° F to 110° F), divided
• 1 pkg active dry yeast (1/4 oz or 2 1/2 tsp)
• 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour, divided
• 4 tsp vital wheat gluten
• 1 tsp sea salt

Click Here to read the rest of the recipe

The pizza turned out much better than I expected! Check another culinary adventure off the list! This one will be a regular in the house.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading comments so thank you for your postive and helpful tips!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...