Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thanksgiving Recap

I bought my house to entertain, and as a result I held my first thanksgiving dinner at my house. I should feel lucky as my first dinner only had to be for 10 people (all my family in town), but still I was nervous. Why? Because I have a gorgeous big, gourmet kitchen and well, I barely cook. I was never one of those people who grew up in the kitchen helping mom cook. I studied, read books, took adventures but domestic I was not. Now, as I am in my thirties I am wishing I took some home EC class, but thank goodness for the internet!

For my first dinner I cheated – yes, I ordered from AJ’s. I would never hear the end of it from my brother’s if we had Thanksgiving dinner without the Turkey. However, I did in fact work to cook another turkey and wanted to try something alittle healthier. I found this one from clean eating magazine! It turned out edible, but was alittle dry since I overcooked it – lesson for next year, my oven cooks fast and not to put it in for over three hours! I also did not use the stuffing this year, for next year!

Pomegranate-Glazed Stuffed Roast Turkey!









Serves 14 Makes 30 minutes Total time 4 to 4 1/2 hours (includes roasting)


INGREDIENTS:
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
• Zest 1 lemon
• 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
• 3/4 tsp sea salt
• 1 14- to 16-lb turkey, defrosted and brought to room temperature
• Olive oil cooking spray
• 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 recipe Mushroom & Leek Stuffing, at room temperature

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small bowl, stir together rosemary, lemon zest, pepper and salt. Set aside.
2. Prep turkey, following the Step-By-Step Turkey Prep Guide.
3. Transfer turkey to oven and roast for a total time of 3½ to 4½ hours. While turkey roasts, make Pomegranate Glaze. After 2 hours of cooking, loosely cover turkey with foil to prevent over-browning. When turkey is 20 to 30 minutes from being done (meat temperature registers about 160°F), uncover and baste with half of Pomegranate Glaze. The turkey is done when juices run clear and a meat thermometer registers 180°F when inserted into the deepest part of the thigh and 165°F when inserted into the center of stuffing in the body cavity.
4. Remove turkey from oven and let rest for 20 minutes. Add remaining ¼ cup broth to remaining Pomegranate Glaze and reheat on low until hot but not bubbling. Spoon stuffing out of neck and body cavity and transfer to a serving bowl. Remove turkey skin and carve. Drizzle each serving with 2 tsp Pomegranate Glaze and serve.

Timesaving Tip: Complete the Step-By-Step Turkey Prep Guide through Step Six up to 1 day ahead of your Thanksgiving dinner. Cover and refrigerate turkey. Stuff turkey just before roasting to prevent bacteria growth.

NUTRIENTS per serving
(4 oz skinless white meat, 1/2 cup stuffing, 2 tsp glaze):
• Calories: 320
• Total Fat: 4 g
• Sat. Fat: 2 g
• Carbs: 36 g
• Fiber: 5 g
• Sugars: 10 g
• Protein: 25 g
• Sodium: 530 mg
• Cholesterol: 60 mg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading comments so thank you for your postive and helpful tips!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...